Sunday, August 24, 2014

It's Official - The Universe Hates me...


Scarlet died.

Well, maybe she's not dead, but my beloved laptop is non-functional. I left for work on Friday and she was working perfectly normal. I returned nine hours later and she was comatose. By that, I mean the power lights come on but the display is completely black. Unlike last time, no one spilled anything or caused any damage that I am aware of. I spent most of my day yesterday trying every trick I know, plus a bunch I found online, but I have not been able to resuscitate her.

This is very, very bad.

I'm thinking there may be an issue with either the motherboard or the graphics card, but until I can come up with the money to try to get her repaired (and right now I can barely afford to buy groceries and I haven't sold a book all month, so it might be a little while) I can't finish editing the second Crow book.

On the plus side, I do have most of my work backed up - I did learn my lesson from last time! But I don't have the finished first draft of the new book file to work from, only the hard copy I luckily printed out the day before this catastrophe happened. It means, if I can't get the laptop fixed right away, that I will have to re-create the file from scratch which is going to take much much longer than the month I had planned to finish it. I will not be able to publish the book by the end of September as I had wanted. Publishing Crow 2 is indefinitely post-poned :(

For those of you who have been anxiously awaiting the second book, I apologize profusely! There was no warning signs of Scarlet's impending demise and I couldn't foresee this happening. Trust me, I'm more traumatized by this than you are.

For right now, I've set up one of our old (and I mean old) desktop computers to work from for the time being (the one we've been allowing the kids to watch Netflix on because that is almost all it's good for lol). I have already downloaded Scrivener to the new, errr I mean old, machine and will continue to write, even if it's not on what I wanted to work on.

This all just came up so suddenly, so I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do. Every time I seem to be getting somewhere with my writing, life and the universe keeps throwing obstacles in my way. It's frustrating and depressing to say the least. But, I'm determined not to let it derail me for long - not like last year where I was in a depressed funk for the next six months. Nope, one way or another I'm going to keep working, I'm just not sure on what yet. When I figure it out, I'll let you know...

Miserably,

No comments:

Post a Comment