Friday, August 15, 2014

The Trouble with Titles


I'm sure some of you have noticed that I'm still referring to the new book as "Crow Two" or "The Second Crow Book". Even my little "Writing Progress" section on the side of this blog still has it listed as "Currently Untitled".

I've been having a hard time coming up with an adequate title. I know the third book is going to be called "Curse" - I've known it from the beginning, but the title for the second book has been eluding me for months. For awhile, I was thinking of calling it "Convey" (the reason will become obvious once you read the book) but it just didn't sit right with me - It's a weak title, and kind of awkward.

Then the other night as I'm putting my son to bed, the word "Shift" popped into my head. I think it will work and it also suits the storyline. I still haven't made up my mind though.

I sort of had a theme for the titles in this series - the words all having a double meaning (example: "a crow" and also "to crow" as in the jubilant noise that Peter Pan makes or "a magical curse" as opposed to "to curse" in the form of saying a swear word, which Denora excels at.) I don't have to stick with the theme - it was a bit of felicity on my part, but I'd like to keep it if I can.

So, I'm looking for opinions:

Convey

Shift

Or should I keep trying to find something better?

1 comment: