Monday, March 3, 2014

Whatchu know 'bout Crow?


I figured, since I've been working so hard on the Crow story that it was about time I tell you a little bit about it.

Firstly, I called it a "Seasonal" series because of the way I have it set up. The story arc is divided into four books. I plan to put them out one every three months (if you do the math, it's 4 books in a year) so basically, one per season. I intend to have the first draft of Book One finished by the end of March, giving me the months of April and May to edit (and work on Firechild in the meantime) with an estimated release date of June 1st. I had intended to make it a novella series, but seeing how Book One is growing, there is a distinct possibility that they'll end up being longer than I had originally thought.


My husband has already made the cover for the first book but he thinks he "can do better", so until he is happy with it I won't release the cover design.

Secondly, Crow is hard to categorize. It could be considered a urban fantasy with a smidgen of paranormal romance. The main character is 17 when the story starts so it has aspects of YA but I'm not confident it would fit into that genre due to content and my flagrant use of profanity and adult subjects. We'll have to see what you think when you read it (and you will read it, right? Because I think it's freaking awesome so far and I think you'll really like it too *nod nod*)

The story is set in New York City - my beloved crazy metropolis.  The main character, Denora, finds out that her childhood best friend has died and that her three brothers have mysteriously disappeared. To make matters worse, she thinks she is being followed and everywhere she goes she sees black crows. When it starts to feel like her whole world is falling apart, she encounters a beautiful and secretive man who claims to know the answers. He introduces her to a world she never dreamed existed - one where rats can talk, people can read minds and an unlucky object can doom an entire family.

*****

Here is the current blurb (it needs work, I know!):

Denora is a magnet for misfortune.
After losing both her parents by the age of 15, she and her brothers have had a rough two years. When it comes to trouble, it always seems to come in waves - especially for Denora.


Shortly after finding out her childhood best-friend has died, Denora’s brothers mysteriously vanish - all three of them - without a trace. And Denora swears someone or something is watching her.


Then a mysterious and alluring young man bursts into her life, offering clues to what happened to her family and introducing her to a hidden world of cryptic premonitions and deadly curses thriving in the underbelly of the city she thought she knew. Can Denora unravel the truth and save her brothers?

*****

There is magic, but not in the Harry Potter style wave-yer-magic-wand and things happen sort.

Well, there's the basics. I'll talk about it more in the future. If you want to know more (or have suggestions to make the blurb better) let me know in the comments.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment