Saturday, March 29, 2014

What I've Learned While Writing Crow

Writing Crow has been unlike any novel I've written before.

Firstly, I started off with an outline and a general idea of who my characters are and what they're conflicts are. I've never done this in a story before - always having a general idea and letting my muse and my characters sort it out as I go. Even with Firechild, which I've been calling a "First Draft Re-Write" because I ended up taking the previous drafts and using them more like an outline since so much of the meat of the story has evolved over the years. This was something I learned from working on Crow.

The story has unfolded much more easily and taken less detours, since I know where it's headed beforehand and what needs to happen next to get to the outcome I desire. However, the actual story - the individual scenes and the characters themselves, have surprised me. I found, even working with an outline, that there is plenty of room for creativity and change. I start each chapter with a vague idea of what needs to be in it and let my imagination take it where it needed to go. It seems to have made a huge difference, since Ive managed to keep myself on track with my deadline and my expectations. The relationship between the main characters grew differently than I expected - as did who the villain will end up being (that epiphany really stunned me when I figured it out!) Working with the outline ended up being the skeleton upon which the rest hung - but the individual features didn't come into focus until I added the muscle. The second draft will be like adding the skin and the face - putting on the details to pull the whole thing into focus.

Secondly, I need to set realistic goals for what I'm able to do with the time I have. Technically, I have two full time jobs and one part time one that pays my bills. Two - three days per week I have to go into the office. The rest of my days I have to find a balance between taking care of two young children, keeping my home and it's chaotic messes in order and finding time to write. I try to write every day I'm home - usually when the kids are napping. If I'm only able to churn out 1000 - 2500 words in a day, that's what I'm going to have to aim for. Some days I have a really inspired day and my kids are on their best behavior - I may be able to get out 3000+, but that's rare. I can't spit out a novel in three weeks like some other writers - I have responsibilities that won't allow it and I have to make it work for me. Setting realistic goals, I still feel rather accomplished at the end of the day. I've gotten a good chapter written, my kids are happy and fed, my dishes are washed and my apartment isn't falling apart. Lamenting not having enough writing time is not going to get my anywhere.

I don't want to half-ass it either - I want to put out the best book I can with the resources at my disposal. I need to give myself enough wiggle-room in my planning to allow for the unexpected, to give myself time to research, to dream and to edit properly. Sure, I could do a quick clean up when Crow is finished and slap it up on Amazon, but I don't want to put out something so raw. I'm giving myself an additional two months to do the appropriate re-writes, edits and hopefully beta reads to make sure the story is polished before releasing it out to you. If I can find the extra money to hire an editor (unlikely) I'll do that too, just to make sure it's ready.

Those are the big things I've learned so far. I'm sure there is more learning to do as I tackle the second draft and editing. I've been through critiques before, but I'm sure I'll have to strap on my thick skin for the beta-readers. It has been an awfully long time since I had anyone read and tear apart my work... sooo more learning will be in order.

As long as you keep learning, you know you're headed in the right direction.
Thanks for taking the time to read my rambles.

No comments:

Post a Comment