Sunday, April 27, 2014

Hello. My name is Everyn and I'm an Edit-o-holic

Hello. My name is Everyn and I'm an Edit-o-holic. I know this is a serious problem and something I need to work on, but I can't seem to stop revising Crow, and I'm starting to worry that if I don't curb my addiction, the book will never get finished.

I read through the printed first draft last week, which I enjoyed, mostly because I got to experience the story like a normal reader would. Afterwards, I went to work chopping and re-writing. I completely re-wrote the first chapter, which I am mostly happy with. I'm probably about a third of the way through the novel so far and it seems to be coming out fairly polished. My husband has been tweaking the front cover, which is almost complete as well, and then we'll get to work on the back cover for the print edition.

In an effort to do my editing in a professional manner, I started watching youtube videos by freelance editors for advice - BIG MISTAKE! I came away feeling dejected, unworthy and stupid... one girl looked like she was fresh out of college (or maybe even still in college) and was talking about "amateur writer" mistakes and what the big publishing companies see as noobie writing. I didn't learn anything that I didn't already know and instead I was left annoyed and put off. My husband reminded me of how great the story is and that the editing I've done has made it even better. End rant....

Back to the point - the editing is moving along and despite a moment of temporary insanity, I'm very pleased with it. So pleased, in fact, that I've decided to put the first chapter of the book on Wattpad a week early. I'll be using the unfinished cover for the time being (since it has everything it needs, I'm just being a pain in the ass and making him add things muhahahahaha!)

Here's the link to the Wattpad version: Crow Book One

I will be posting one chapter per week on Sunday mornings, the final chapter will go up the week before Book Two is scheduled to be published.

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment