Monday, May 26, 2014

Formatting, formatting, formatting......

Despite my previous anxiety, I managed to finish the final edits on time and have now started formatting the manuscript for publication. The Amazon Kindle version is finished and waiting. I'm working on the Barnes and Noble Nook ebook and the Smashwords one as well.

I've downloaded an ebook to Kindle before, when I published the short story Imaginary Self there last year, so the process for that was familiar and easy. The Nook version seems straightforward enough, and even has the added bonus of being able to make adjustments on screen, instead of having to re-upload over and over every time I find something that needs a tweak.

Smashwords, on the other hand, is giving me a fucking headache. I've heard about the evil "meatgrinder" of Smashwords formatting requirements and so far that seems to ring true. It keeps giving me errors and I don't even know what else to do. I really want to have a Smashwords version available, but I may have to set it aside because I've been doing this over and over for two days and I have a ton of other things I need to get done before I publish the book.

That being said, unless some freak accident rocks my world (I'm looking at you toddler-who-kills-laptops), not only will I be able to put Crow out on schedule, I'll actually be able to put it out ahead of schedule by a couple days.

So off I go, back to the formatting insanity that is self-publication...

No comments:

Post a Comment