Saturday, July 20, 2013

Procrastination is death


I keep coming up with new ideas for stories and projects to work on - really GOOD ideas that I'm excited about, but it makes me wonder:

Is this just procrastination kicking in?

A hidden, inner fear of failure, or a worry that finally finishing this novel I have worked on for so damned long and thought about constantly would be the end of something I would miss like a long-lost lover. Or, on the optimistic side, perhaps since I am working and writing again consistently my brain is just reveling in the creativity.
I like the second option better.

It leads me to believe that once I've finished this novel I will not slow down or stagnate but will be able to jump from one inspired project to the next. I have Book 2 of the Firechild series already mostly written (I checked the word count the other night and was shocked to realize that I had already written 425 pages of Book 2 that just need to be re-written and the story finished, which means I should be able to turn around and publish Book 2 fairly quickly after I finish Book 1.)

I also have Lusus Naturae mostly written, also just needing the same treatment.

Add to that the Crow Series I've been brainstorming (I started writing for it in May while I was on hiatus during my third trimester of pregnancy) and about half a dozen other ideas I've been thinking over. There is also a graphic novel I'm dying to write with my husband doing the artwork.

This just cements the fact that I desperately need to finish this novel as scheduled. I have so much to do and procrastination is just going to kill me slowly. The more I write, the better I feel - the more motivated and inspired I am.

Keep focused and finish. Don't let self-doubt or procrastination sink it's nasty claws in and distract me. I'm making progress - just keep taking steps forward and I'll end up at the end of one and the beginning of the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment