Monday, July 15, 2013

And we're back . . .

I've been absent for few months and for good reason - I've had my hands full.

I had the baby towards the end of May, and things have been hectic ever since. Having a newborn along with an energetic toddler, I'm surprised I haven't lost my mind yet. What this means for my writing project is that I've had to take a break and re-evaluate how I'm going to get the work done. In order to keep working, I'm having to get creative with my methods.

For the initial update, when I say I have my hands full I mean it literally. Since new baby boy is EBF (for those of you who don't know what EBF is, let's just say little man doesn't take a bottle) this means he is in my arms 90% of the day. Kind of hard to type when my hands are full of a wiggling nipple-muncher.

Also, it is safe to assume that sleep is nonexistent.

So, since I don't have free hands for typing, I'm experimenting with Windows Speech Recognition program on the new laptop so that I can continue to work during the day.
(Hell, I'm using it right now. We'll see how it turns out...)

With all of the new stuff going on in my life, my writing schedule (and of course my blogging) has been thrown way off course. Anyone with little kids knows - your time is not your own. I'm working on toddler and infant time here.This doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about it constantly. I am going to try to use this speech-to-type program to continue working on my novel re-write and hopefully catch up.

Just this past week I manage to find one of the versions of Firechild that I have been looking for for months. As I've said before, I've been working on this particular novel off and on for 16 years and there are at least six different versions of various sections as I experimented with first person, third person, flashbacks and tense to try to find the voice that worked best for the story. All of the other versions had been copied into my Scrivener Project but this particular one had eluded me. After digging through my chaotic files, I managed to find a printed copy of the version I have been looking for.

Luckily for me, I've always been paranoid enough to print out everything after I type it, so even though the digital copy is missing I still have something to work off of for this rewrite. This particular version held some sections and ideas for the novel that I had never written in the other versions, so it was important to find it and include them in the rewrite.

I'm very excited to get back to work and try to make up for lost time. Even though I am months behind, I still anticipate finishing according to schedule. This will get easier once my baby boy starts taking regular naps (in his crib, not my arms) and I can work freely - you know, use my hands and stuff.

As far as the blog goes, now that I'm working again I hope to post updates more regularly. I will most likely revamp both websites as I have had some new ideas in the past few months that I would like to implement. The blog is a learning experience for me, and we're still in our blogging baby-stages - growing and changing until we find our way. It may take me a little while to get the website back up to snuff and I will probably only be able to post sporadically. With so little free time, and so much to catch up on, my main focus needs to be on finishing the novel. This means my blog posting (and all the random other things) will take a backseat.

Well, this was a very long blog post, but considering it was three months overdue that seems appropriate.

Enough procrastinating! Back to the novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment