Sunday, March 3, 2013

Animal, Not Vegetable



Animal, Not Vegetable

Prompt Response for 2/24/13
Written by Everyn Kildare, All rights reserved © 2013




The simple feline. That is what she called me.

I turned my head to the side, listening with my right ear. She likes that. It makes her eyes go wide.

"Are you hungry, kitty?"

I strolled over to her outstretched hand and rubbed my face into her palm in acknowledgement.

"Why else would I be in this room?" I meowed.

Her fingers rubbed under my chin and sent my fur tingling. I yawned and stretched my arms out in front of myself, arching my back.

What a dreary morning.

I could hear the sound of the metal snap as she pulled the lid off of the can. Immediately I could smell the tangy juices - my mind drifted to visions of tender chucks of white fish and gravy...

My daydream was interrupted by the shrill "Briiiing-a-liiiing! Brrrrrriinngggggg-a-lliiinngggggg!" of that incessant black box she always had in her hand. She placed the box next to her ear and started speaking in a slightly lower octave than the one she used when she spoke to me.

"Hello?" she paused, "Yes, of course. How've you been?"

I watched her set the can onto the counter and she bent down to pick my bowl up off the floor. She paced from the counter to the large cold foodbox and then back to the counter.

"Oh no! I was just about to get some lunch. I'm free for awhile" She smiled to herself and walked back over to the foodbox, opening it and bending down to peer inside.

I sat near the counter where she had placed my bowl.

"Mreow?"

"Yes, yes. One second!" She waved her arm at me dismissively without bothering to look away from the foodbox. I wasn't sure if she was addressing me or the talking blackbox in her hand.

These humans are so odd...

She stood suddenly in the foodbox doorway and tilted her head to the side in a gesture that mocked my own.

"Sure. I remember him...." She reached inside the foodbox and pulled out a small red container without looking down. She placed the container on the counter and mindlessly tapped her fingers on the lid. "Really? I had no idea!"

This had gone on long enough.

"Mreeeoooooow!" I protested.

"Yeah. Okay, okay" She pulled the lid off of the plastic container and dumped it into my bowl.

What was she doing? Where was my can?

She stooped down and thumped the bowl down in front of me and turned on her heel to walk out of the room.

What sat in front of me was green and smelled like garlic and butter. I could still smell the lovely fish aroma on the counter above me.


Prompt for the week of 2/24/13:

Write from the first person perspective of an animal.

Choose any animal (the more unusual, the better) and write in first person perspective: what do they see, hear, smell, taste? What other creatures are around them? Where do they go and what do they do? Be as descriptive as possible!


No comments:

Post a Comment