Thursday, February 2, 2017

A New Curse Teaser To Whet Your Appetite...


Teaser Tuesday! 
 
Wait... what the hell? It's NOT Tuesday?
Okay. We'll roll with it anyway :D

Yes, this means Curse is underway. I'm tearing through the final edits right now and hope to have it ready in the next few weeks - so until then, let's have some treasers!!!

This week, I'm offering a snippet between Denora and a certain black tomcat *wink*

Without further ado, here is this week's sneak peek...



Curse - The Crow Series Book Four:

Everything was spinning as I darted across the busy intersection towards the store on the corner. I hugged my bag into my side, pushing through the chiming glass door into the stagnant heat of the bodega. Row after crowded row of metal shelving greeted me with brightly colored snack bags, paper products and nudie-mags as I headed past the fridge filled with soda and water bottles towards the register.

“Black coffee with sugar and a package of Asprin, please?” I mumbled to the man on the other side.

He nodded without a word and turned to the large coffee-machine beside the make-shift deli counter where they prepared sandwiches to order. I watched dispassionately as he poured the stale, thick brew into a paper cup, splashing in a swig of milk before popping on the plastic cover.

I rolled my eyes, too tired to correct him, and focused my attention on the six-packs lining the bottom shelf of the fridge behind me. The owner of the store knew me well enough by now not to ask for my ID.

“This too…” I said, sighing as I pulled the ice-cold beer out of the fridge, setting it beside the paper cup and small package of Asprin.

A large black tomcat with flashing green eyes peered at me from behind the counter as the man punched the amount into the cash register.

I groaned inwardly, slapping my money down and turning swiftly towards the door. I knew he would follow me out. Half a block away, I ducked into a short alleyway and waited.

Silas sauntered slowly around the corner and sat on his haunches, big emerald eyes fixing me with an exasperated look.

“So, you’ve finally traded your nice cushy spot on Henriette’s couch for the glamorous life of a bodega cat?”

His whiskers twitched, “I’m going to pretend I didn’t just hear you say that.”

“While you’re at it, how about you just pretend I’m not here and go about your business?” I groaned.

Silas narrowed his eyes at me, “You had to know eventually I’d find you.”

I laughed and immediately cringed as the throbbing in my head grew to blinding proportions, “Didn’t mean I was going to make it easy for you.”

“After what had happened - with me, with Henriette - how could you take off like that? We’ve all been worried sick.” He lowered his gaze, his tail flicking back and forth behind him, “I thought something had happened to you.”

“Something did happen.” I snapped, the pain causing me to sound angrier than I’d intended, “I finally got realistic! The only way I’m going to break my brothers’ curse is if I take matters into my own hands.”

His small furry body sighed, “I’ll help you. We all want to help you.”

“No.”

“No?” His expression shifted into an odd mimicry of a raised eyebrow.

“You heard me. I’m the only one risking my neck from now on. I don’t want you in the way.”

“In the way?” He growled in disbelief, “I should drag your stubborn ass back home and be done with this nonsense.”

“Silas, did you just curse?” I snickered, trying to dull the agony in my skull with some lighthearted banter. The miserable look on his feline face was starting to eat away at my resolve…

“Your way with words is rubbing off on me.” He cracked a smile, sharp feline teeth shining menacingly.

I grinned back. I couldn’t help it. “Gonna be pretty hard to drag me anywhere when you’re a tenth my size.”

“I’ll do it if I must.” He said with complete confidence.

Being around him made it just so easy to fall back into our old habits - the way we’d tease and bicker. The sting of missing him pressed in on my chest like a festering wound. It had been easier to ignore when he wasn’t standing right in front of me - feline or otherwise.

“You’d have to shift.” I responded, raising a challenging brow. “Unless you’re planning on tickling me into submission with your whiskers.”

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I'm so excited to have those two together again! Too much fun. Like a reunion with old friends who you just know are gonna leave you fucked up and laughing hysterically by the end of the night. Maybe that's just me...

Probably just me. :D

Thanks for reading!



Twitter / Facebook / Google+ / Goodreads / Pinterest / Instagram / Youtube (Coming Soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment